With Veteran’s Day around the corner on November 11th, what better way to celebrate those who have fought for our country than to visit the home of the largest naval base in the world, and destination filled with military history and patriotic ambience and a beach?
Here are some of noteworthy and nostalgic attractions in Norfolk, VA that allow for a meaningful and memorable Veteran’s Day:
- Armed Forces Memorial – A tribute to those who gave up their lives in war, showcasing a collection of 20 inscriptions of letters written home by soldiers who lost their lives.
- Naval Station Norfolk – The World’s largest naval base provides a narrated tour of aircraft carriers, destroyers, submarines, frigates and amphibious assault ships that support the logistics of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet.
- The MacArthur Memorial – An extensive collection of military and personal artifacts that allow visitors to discover the compelling story of MacArthur and the millions of American who served during the Spanish-American War up to the Occupation of Japan and the Korean War.
- Civil War Trail and Cannon Ball Trail – A self-guided walking tours direct participants through historic Norfolk with stops including Fort Norfolk, the historic Freemason District and the West Point Memorial.
- Norfolk Freedom Marathon, Half Marathon, 5K, and Freedom Mile –Running and fitness enthusiasts gather to show their Veteran’s Day pride.
Here are ways to find exclusive deals available to make travel to Norfolk more accessible for those who served our country:
- Norfolk Sheraton Waterside Hotel – Offers rates for military and government personnel starting at $92 per night with complimentary breakfast and complimentary high speed internet.
- Norfolk International Airport – Offers discount savings up to 60% off the normal lowest air fares and 10% discounts in all airport restaurants and retail locations for veteran and military service members and their families with a valid Military ID.
Norfolk attracts thousands of travelers each year to enjoy the city’s waterfront downtown, burgeoning food scene, impressive arts and culture happenings, outdoor adventure and a plethora of entertainment options. To learn more about Norfolk’s attractions, you can visit the website at www.visitnorfolktoday.com.