I love how Bob’s Red Mill is one of those companies you can count on for quality. I can’t say that my family eats 100% clean all of the time, but I like to do what I can when I can. The ease of finding their products makes that goal a little more attainable. Bob’s Red Mill sent me a package of their new tri color quinoa to cook with for this post. I made a delicious summery tasting salad with tomatoes, basil, and a few other touches. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be my new warm weather staple.
I know we see quinoa more and more these days, but that doesn’t mean we know what it is. Yet another reason I am a huge fan of Bob’s Red Mill is their information. Not only do they make great products, they take the time to make sure people know what it is. They held a great Hangout on Google+ all about quinoa. If you’re curious and want to know more about this grain, definitely check it out. Quinoa is often referred to as a whole grain but is actually a gluten free seed. It is a great source of dietary fiber and protein. It’s no wonder quinoa has gone mainstream!
Now for my Tomato Basil Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 1 c. Bob's Red Mill Tri-Color Quinoa
- 2 c. chicken broth (I prefer mine made with Better Than Bouillon...AMAZING stuff)
- 1 c. grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 - 3 T chopped fresh basil
- 2 T shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ c. vinaigrette dressing (I LOVE Garlic Expressions)
- First, cook Bob's Tri Color Quinoa according to package directions.
- Once cooked, transfer to a bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the vinaigrette dressing and basil. Mix.
- Add the tomatoes and shredded cheese.
- You can garnish the dish with sliced tomatoes and whole basil leaves. Serve the salad warm or completely chilled. I enjoyed it both ways!
A big special thank you to Bob’s Red Mill for providing me with the quinoa to create this recipe!
Ashley is a mom, wife, sister, daughter, friend, and former teacher working to navigate through the mysterious world of Mommyia. Read more about her adventures at @Momicles2010.