When the Black Cauldron arrived on our door step Zoe just had to watch it. She saw the girl on the DVD cover and assumed that it was Sleeping Beauty her favorite princess. I told her that it wasn’t but she couldn’t be persuaded. So we decided to watch it.
Right away I found the movie to be very dark it was scary I thought. Zoe told me she liked it though and wanted to watch it. So the main character’s name is Taran, and he is an apprentice to a pig keeper. He is out taking care of the pig, trying to give her a bath and then she starts acting funny and runs away. So his teacher tells him to bring her inside and then Taran’s world is turned upside down.
Soon he finds out that magic exists and it is his job to take care of Hen Wen the pig. This movie reminds me of Care Bears, both were made about the same time, and have evil magic in them with good prevailing. Taran becomes so much more than just an apprentice with his adventure. He falls into the hands of the evil bad guy, meets a princess with an attitude and becomes friends with a furry little creature that lies a lot.
What did everyone think of it?
Zoe liked it a lot and wanted to watch it again. She loves anything that has a princess in it and the princess’s dress was pink/purple which made her an even better princess. Zoe is a girly girl and loves watching female characters no matter how small their part is.
Miles, well he was a little bit scared and had to climb into my lap. He said it wasn’t too scary so it must be ok and my idea of scary as a mother is much higher than what the kids actually find to be scary.
My thoughts, it defiantly took me back to the time it was created. 25 years ago was quite a long time, however, it still was very colorful. I was surprised at just how colorful everything was, but that’s Disney for you! They are always ahead of the times and keeping things updated. We watched all of the extras too and I was surprised that the extras kept the kids attention. Also, just so you know, I have no knowledge of the books that this movie is loosely based upon.
New Bonus Features on the Black Cauldron Include:
- Deleted Scene—The Fairfolk: Viewers join Taran, Fflewddur Fflam, Gurgi and Princess Eilonwy as they travel into the depths of the earth and meet the Fairfolk.
- The Witches’ Challenge Game—In order to defeat the dark powers of the Horned King, players must gain possession the magical sword from the Witches of Morva by solving their riddles.
Plus Classic DVD Bonus Features:
- Still Frame Gallery—A compilation of behind-the-scenes artwork and photos.
- Quest For the Black Cauldron—A trivia game in which players compete against the evil Horned King in a race to reach the Black Cauldron first.
- Trick Or Treat—Classic Donald Duck cartoon from 1952.