My 4YO son “helped” me make these brownies. They’re rich and chewy chocolate with a crunch of caramel like toffee on top. The sprinkle of salt adds a little extra treat to the flavors in your mouth. I recommend skipping your regular knifes for cutting and use a cake knife/spatula which seems to create less of a crumble mess on the sides of the brownie. Enjoy!
Salted-Caramel Chocolate Fudge Brownies
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup flour
½ cup ground flaxseed
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons heavy cream, divided
1 cup caramel bits
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
2. Combine the melted butter, sugars, salt, and vanilla in your Kitchen Aid stand mixer bowl using your whisk attachment.
3. Drop in an egg and then flour allowing to thoroughly mix into the batter. Drop in second egg and wheat germ and mix into batter. Drop in third egg and flaxseed and mix. Drop in last egg and cocoa thoroughly mix into the batter.
4. Pour chocolate chips and 1 Tablespoon cream into microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, and stir until combined and liquefied. Add chocolate to batter and whip together.
5. Bake in preheated oven of 30 minutes.
6. Combine caramel bits and last Tablespoon of cream into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, and stir until combined and liquefied. Pour caramel on top of brownies can cut through top batter and caramel with a knife to swirl them together. Continue to cook for 15 more minutes.
7. Immediately add coarse salt. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut! Remove from dish to cooling rack. Continue to sit until completely cooled or serve warm. Do not stack or store until completely cooled.
Summer is the President of our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living while cooking up a storm.