Tasty Treat Thursday: Irish Chocolate Mint Custard By Summer
This is a recipe I picked up from Paula Deen’s show when I was watching her and her son Bobby on The Food Network while working out on my elliptical … granted it wasn’t “Irish whipped cream” or a custard with mint, but that base recipe gave me the idea for this one. (I know masochistic right? Watching The Food Network while working out; well, I work out to be able to eat for pleasure.)
So this is my promised adult St. Patrick’s Day recipe from last week’s post. The recipe is super easy, you just need to be willing to take the time to properly make it.
INGREDIENTS for Chocolate Mint Custard
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup Nestle Toll House Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels
4 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 300oF. Also set a kettle of water to boil.
2. In a saucepan scold milk and cream, but don’t boil.
3. In a double boiler (or in the microwave) melt morsels. Stir until chocolate is smooth. Remove from heat if on a double boiler. Slowly stir in milk mixture.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine yolks, sugar, and salt. Blend well. Temper eggs by very slowly mixing in the milk chocolate mixture. Stir constantly and until combined.
5. Pour even amount of mixture into 4-6 ramekins depending upon size.
6. Place ramekins into a cake pan. Carefully create a water bath by pour water into the cake pan but not into any of the custard cups.
8. Cool custards at room temperature for 40 minutes. Then continue to cool custards in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours. Keep refrigerated until serving.
INGREDIENTS for Irish Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons Bailey’s Irish Cream
1. Combine ingredients and beat until stiff. Peaks will begin to form. Keep refrigerated!
– The Nestle Toll House Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels are a limited time product for the winter season. If you can no longer find them in a store near you, take the same amount of morsels in dark chocolate with 1 teaspoon mint extract (or flavoring as desired). You can also try making this recipe with your favorite flavor of chocolate chips.
– I needed more ramekins in order to have enough custard dishes. So I ran to Cost Plus World Market and got a pack of 4 green ramekins for only $2.99! GREAT DEAL! They also offer the sets in yellow, blue, orange, and red; green was just too perfect with St. Patrick’s Day!
Summer is the President of our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living.