My husband loves apple desserts which is why when I bake I try to include apples if it’s a fruit treat. Since this past Sunday was Father’s Day and I didn’t do anything special for him on that day, and we just got back from a vacation and he returned to a 14-hour day of work due to reviews he deserves this … well, not that he doesn’t deserve it anyways, but I made these for him. Enjoy this comfort food!
P.S. – My DH loved them and ate 3 of the 12 I sent with him to work. NAILED IT!
Individual Cran-Apple Pies Recipe
6 Granny Smith apples
½ to 1 cup dried cranberries, as desired (if you use a full cup only use 5 apples)
¾ cup sugar
2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground clove
2 Tablespoons flour
1. Peel, core, and slice the apples. I LOVE my Back-to-Basics apple peeler and corer from Williams-Sonoma. If you bake a lot with apples or if you have an apple tree I can’t recommend this product enough for fast turnaround on any apples you’re using in your cooking.
2. Combine apples, cranberries, sugar and cinnamon. Let set for at least an hour (I let mine sit for 3 hours), stirring every half hour to allow apples to juice and allow the cranberries to soak up the apple juice. ***GREAT TIME TO MAKE THE CRUST***
3. Add nutmeg and clove. Stir. Add in ½ tablespoon of flour at a time; stir after each deposit.
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup flour
½ cup wheat germ
½ cup ground flaxseed
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup cold water (or less)
1. Heavily grease a 12-cup regular sized muffin tin.
2. Mix butter, flour, wheat germ, flaxseed, and salt with a fork (or pastry blender) until very crumbly. Add as much water as needed to hold the dough together and mix lightly with a fork. Do not over wet. Do not over mix dough.
3. Dump out onto a floured surface. Roll until 1/16 inch thick. Cut 4×4 squares out of rolled dough. Place in a square into each of the cups.
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup quick cook oats
DIRECTIONS: Combine ingredients and stir until crumbs form.
Assemble and Cook
1. Preheat oven to 350oF.
2. Fill raw crust cups with filling. Top with crumble.
3. Cook for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown the edges.
4. Cool for 7-10 minutes and serve warm.
5. Garnish as desired – cinnamon sticks and apple peel are nice . Also add ice cream or whipped cream as desired.
Summer is the President of our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living while cooking up a storm.