This Caramel-Mocha-Sea Salt Cupcake Recipe, on page 51, is an experiment for me from the Big Book of Cupcakes presented by Southern Living. In this cupcake cookbook Jan Moon presents 150 “brilliantly delicious dreamcakes”. Don’t believe it? Try their Peaches-and-Cream, Mojito, Sweet Lavender, Pecan Pie, Maple Bacon, Tiramisu, Bad Mama Jama, Nutty for Coconut, or Mint Chocolate Chip cupcakes. Jan Moon’s Big Book of Cupcakes also offers Gluten Free and Vegan cakes.
Caramel-Mocha-Sea Salt Cupcakes Recipe (Photo By Summer)
From page 51:
One of our most requested flavors, this cupcake is a combination of salty and sweet blended with mocha.
makes 24 cupcakes
1 recipe Chocolate cake (page 45)*
1 recipe Mocha Frosting
Topping: Caramel Drizzle, coarse sea salt, candy espresso beans
1. Prepare Chocolate Cake as directed.
2. Frost each cupcake with Mocha Frosting using metal tip no. 12 (See How-To, page 23.) Drizzle each cupcake with Caramel Drizzle; top each with about 1/8 tsp. sea salt and 1 espresso bean.
* Chocolate Cake
1 cup Dutch process cocoa
2 cups boiling water
1 cup butter, softened
4 large eggs
2 ¾ cups all-purpose soft-wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tap salt
1 tsp. chocolate extract
Paper baking cups
Vegetable cooking Spray
1. Combine cocoa and 2 cups boiling water in a large heatproof bowl, stirring until blended and smooth; cool completely.
2. Beat butter with a mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
3. Combine flour and nest 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate extract.
4. Place paper baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full.
5. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely. Makes 24 cupcakes.
1 cup butter, softened
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
¼ tsp. salt
2 tsp. coffee extract**
2 (16-oz) packages powdered sugar
1/3 cup whipping cream
1. Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar alternately with cream, beating at low speed until blended after each addition. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until creamy. Makes about 5 cups.
**baker’s secret – If you’re dying to try this recipe but don’t have coffee extract in your pantry, you can dissolve 2 Tbsp. instant espresso in ¼ cup hot water as a substitution.
½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup whipped cream
1. Cook butter and sugar in a 2-qt. heavy saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is caramel-colored, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and slowly add cream, stirring constantly until blended.
2. Return to heat, and bring to a boil; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool. Makes about 1½ cups.
This Caramel-Mocha-Sea Salt cupcake recipe comes to from the same maker of the “Mother’s Day White Cake Cupcakes Recipe”, so if you like these recipes you’ll need Jan Moon’s Big Book of Cupcakes presented by Southern Living.
Disclosure – A product was provided to me free of charge by the manufacturer or representing PR agency for the writing of this review; however, opinions expressed are my own and are NOT influenced by monetary compensation
Summer is the President of our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living.