My husband is 100%; born in Poland and naturalized in the 1990’s. His Babcia (grandmother) and mom’s apple cakes are his favorite. I have been “training” under his mom for the past 9 years of our courtship and marriage how to make some Polish dishes. This year for his birthday, I finally make an apple cake for him by myself. So here is the passed-down, homemade, authentic Polish Apple Cake.
Apple Polish Cake Recipe
- 1 – 10 pound bag of Apples
- 1 cup of water
- 2¾ cups flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- cup + 2 teaspoons sugar
- teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 385oF.
- Peel apples. Cut in half. Gut (I recommend a grapefruit spoon or melon baller.)
- Boil with water. Stirring occasionally.
- Stop cooking when the apples are soft, but not mushy (about 20 minutes).
- Drain juice. (I recommend using a colander with a bowl below so you can reserve the apple juice for drinking … tasty!)
- Mush up apples with a potato masher until fibers fall apart to a chunky sauce. Allow to cool while making crust.
- Combine 2½ cups flour, yolk, baking soda, ½ sugar, salt, and butter. Knead together with hands.
- Ball together but reserve about ¼ cup to use as topping. Move big ball to 9x13 pan and press out on to bottoms and sides of pan.
- Dump all apples into crust. Level.
- Add ¼ cup flour to reserved dough. Crumble together and top. Sprinkle on cinnamon and 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes. Cool for 15 minute to settle before serving.
- Store on countertop to prevent drying. Cover by towel to prevent dust. Eat within 5 days to prevent molding
Summer is very active in our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living while cooking up a storm.