Apple Pie Bread Pudding
I wanted to take two of my husband’s favorite things and combine them. Since Louise had some Sara Lee coupons for Mom Start from her recent post; she gave me some and I used them to purchase 2 large pound cake loaves. I don’t mind making treats semi-homemade (I’m not Wonder Woman!). Sara Lee’s All Butter Pound Cakes are made with high fructose corn syrup, and I’ve eliminated high fructose corn syrup from our home; but FYI, these cakes contain it. I doubled this recipe to send to work.
Oh and this is another great way to celebrate Pound Cake Day on March 3rd.
CorningWare 3-qt Oblong Baking Dish (9×12)
large mixing bowl
small mixing bowl
large plastic or wood stirring spoon
small sauce pan (2x or wash and reuse for pudding and sauce)
whisk (2x or wash and reuse for pudding and sauce)
– PUDDING –
1 loaf (16oz) Sara Lee’s All Butter Pound Cake – Cut lengthwise in quarters, in half height wise, and in desired sizes widthwise.
¼ cup Sun-Maid Organic raisins
2 cup chunk cut apples, desired size – I used apples from my trees in the backyard and don’t know what kind they are, but use what you like. Also you can peel your apples; I kept the peels on for some nutrition.
1 cup brown sugar
1¾ cup milk – I use local. For me (in the Seattle area) that’s Smith Brothers Farms… so good!
¼ cup butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon (or a pinch) ground cloves
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
– SAUCE –
¼ cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup milk
½ cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350oF (175oC). Grease CorningWare Dish.
2. PUDDING – In a large bowl, combine pound cake, raisins, and apples.
3. PUDDING – In a small saucepan over medium heat melt together butter and brown sugar. Stir milk slowly to create a smooth caramel sauce. Pour over bread mixture in bowl. Pour bread mixture into prepared dish.
4. PUDDING – In a small mixing bowl, whisk together cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla, and eggs. Pour over bread mixture.
5. Bake in preheated oven 40-50 minutes; or until center is set, apples are tender, and top is golden brown.
6. SAUCE – While pudding is baking, mix together sugars and butter on medium heat until well combined. Stir in milk slowly. Bring to a rolling boil then remove from heat. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
7. Remove pudding from oven and serve directly from the cooking dish. Pour desired amount of sauce over pudding.
Summer is the President of our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living.