I can’t make my own bread! I know bread sounds intimidating … but really if you make muffins, you’re making bread; the trick is it’s usually not so sweet. Today’s treat is a savory for a hearty snack or an addition to really with any mealtime.
Summertime Savory Veggie Muffins Recipe
2 handfuls of spinach – probably about 3 packed cups un-wilted or ½ cup wilted
½ cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
2 Tablespoons cottage cheese
1 teaspoon Basil, dried
½ teaspoon parsley, dried
¼ cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
1½ cups flour – I used 1 cup whole wheat and ½ cup all-purpose
1 cup 2% milk
1. Preheat oven to 350oF. Line or grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. Place your spinach in a colander and pour a kettle of boiling water over top to wilt. Allow to sit so water drains out.
3. In your Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer bowl place butter, baking powder and soda, and salt. Turn to stir. Drop in eggs one at a time. Allow to combine on “stir” setting.
4. Pick up spinach in your fist and squeeze excess water out. Chop spinach. Stop mixer and add cheeses, spices, tomatoes, and spinach. Stir again.
5. Add half of flour to mixture. Combine. While stirring add in milk. Combine. Stop mixer and add in remaining flour. Combine.
6. Pour mixture equally into the 12 prepared muffin tin compartments. Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes until tops are golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Summer is very active in our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living while cooking up a storm.