We are SO happy to work with our friends at The Windows Blog and Western Digital. Thanks to them, we will be bringing you some GREAT information on Western Digital products and ways to get your media ahead of the technology curve. Did we mention there would be great giveaways too? Stay tuned and check out some of our favorite in home media center must haves. =)
Can you believe that 30 years ago we didn’t even care about having cable for our television? Families were happy to have the typical handful of channels that the rabbit ears could bring in. Now, most families compare satellite, cable, and online television viewing to decide what’s right for their family. It really is crazy to think about how many options we have these days.
When my family and I moved, we decided it was time to ask some of those questions ourselves. We decided that we wanted to try and get ahead of the technology curve. What do I mean by that? Things seem to moving towards all online, shared media. Yes, there is definitely still a time and a place for cable/satellite if your family watches a lot of live events (like my husband who is the diehard sports fan). Outside of that, you can really do all you need to do with a few simple in home devices.
Thanks to Western Digital, we have been testing out the WD Live TV Hub to help us get ahead of that technology curve. I am NOT a very tech-savvy person, but after using the Hub for about a month, I’m getting the hang of it and LOVE having it in our home.
So what is the Western Digital Live TV Hub and what does it do? Good question.
In my non-techy terms, the LiveTV Hub allows you to store and share media files throughout your home to any internet enabled device. The easiest way for me to think of it was like an external hard drive for all of our media files (movies, TV show files, music, and pictures).
– If you connect the WD Live TV Hub to your wireless router, it pops up on menus and allows you to play the movies, music, etc. from any device (TV, DVD player, or even an XBOX) on your TV.
– If you connect it directly to your internet ready TV, the hub comes with its own remote and you can select what files you would like to play.
– You can choose from the TONS of apps (Netflix, Spotify, Facebook, Pandora, Hulu) to watch your favorite shows, listen to your favorite songs, and stream some great movies. (When connected to the internet.)
– As long as everything is connected to the internet, it is SUPER easy to add files to your WD Live TV Hub. It’s basically just a drag and drop to the right filebox on your computer.
– All of the pictures and videos stream from the Live TV Hub with AMAZING clarity and quality. (Full-HD 1080p)
– You can set your smart phone to work as a remote! (How cool is that!)
I really love our Western Digital Live TV Hub. I have to say though, I feel like I’m missing out a little since we don’t have any of the WD Live TV boxes. Then I could have all of our files stored (and accessed) from the Live TV Hub and still use all of the cool apps at any of our TVs. I know Louise has one though. Maybe she’ll send it out to me so I can test it out! 😉
Learn more about the Western Digital Live TV Hub. And Stay Tuned because we will have one to give away very very soon.
Disclosure – I was provided with a product to facilitate this review and giveaway. I am a Windows Champion and they helped support my relationship with Western Digital. All opinions expressed are my own.
About Ashley (Managing Editor at MomStart): Ashley is a mom, wife, sister, daughter, friend, and former teacher working to navigate through the mysterious world of Mommyia. Read more about her adventures at Momicles and follow her @Momicles2010 .