I know people around me are always pushing me to “shop local” to support local businesses. But the reality is that if I save money shopping online, I have more money to support local businesses like restaurants, theaters, and bowling alleys. So in the end, I’m still doing what’s best for both me AND my community when I shop online to save.
Now that we have that out of the way, I want to tell you why the smartest moms will be shopping online this holiday season. Here are 5 sure fire ways to save money while you spend it (and who doesn’t spend at least a little in December?)
1) Compare for the lowest prices. Whether you do this formally using one of the many price comparison sites out there or informally by polling the friends in your social networks, you will be sure that you are getting what you want at the lowest price possible.
2) Use online coupons. You can find a coupon for just about every store online with few exceptions. Bookmark a couple of the top coupon sites and always check them before you buy.
3) Shop with rewards. Whether you shop through a traditional cash back/rebate site or even your credit card or frequent flyer program, be sure that you are getting any kind of points or rewards that you can on each purchase. Most of these sites are 100% legitimate and allow you to combine your rewards with coupons. Just do your homework when you choose a site.
4) Shop for alternative items. Unless you are looking for a very specific make and model of a product, do a simple internet search for the product you are buying and see if there is another similar item at a better price that would serve the same purpose.
5) Use reviews to your advantage. Many websites are now including reviews as a part of their site. You can see reviews on the product, the merchant, and even the coupon you want to use. Don’t waste your money on a merchant that isn’t going to get the item to you the way that you want it or on a product that people are saying doesn’t do what it advertised. You don’t want to have to spend that money twice to get a different item at the last minute.
I could make this list go on and on, but this will get you started. Be smart and check your credit cards often, use reputable sites—all those things you already know! And enjoy it….shopping should be fun, especially when you know you are getting the best deals possible.