During the Kenmore Blogger Summit last week, each blogger submitted a story of their most memorable “Holiday Disaster”. This is mine:
Back in the 1990s, my Grandma and Grandpa flew over to the US from Australia to visit my family and spend a special Thanksgiving with us. We had just moved into an apartment building that was situated right next door to the local fire department, and the kitchen was extremely small – more like a glorified closet than a full kitchen – so my mom had a big job on her hands trying to juggle a full turkey dinner for extended family with very little elbow room.
During the hustle and bustle, we became aware of a strange smell, and looked up to see the stove on fire! Mom had moved a big stockpot onto the counter briefly to add an ingredient, and when she placed it back on the stove, she didn’t realize that there was a potholder stuck to the bottom of it. The potholder caught on fire and sent thick black smoke billowing out of out window directly to the Fire Department’s front door. We got the small blaze put out quickly and felt embarrassed because we were sure that half a dozen firemen would be rushing in our door any second. But they never came over – we always found it amusing that the firemen next door never noticed all the smoke billowing in the windows!
Fortunately, the rest of Thanksgiving went off without a hitch, although Mom’s potholder had seen better days!
What was your most memorable holiday disaster?