Mexican flavors are my favorite, which is another reason why I SO love working with Hormel, they have a few Mexican brands, one of those being La Victoria. Here is another amazing recipe I received from the Hormel Family!. With a rich tomatillo sauce, this grilled chicken recipe is best when made with a foil-wrapped brick or heavy cast iron skillet to weigh the chicken down when grilling. Grilling perfection.
Grilled Chile Lemon Brick Chicken Recipe
- 1 (4-pound) chicken, back bone removed and flattened
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp freshly minced cilantro
- 1 bunch green onions
- For Sauce:
- 1 cup LA VICTORIA® Green Taco Sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Liberally season chicken with salt and pepper. In small mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, chili powder, cumin, lemon juice, chopped garlic and cilantro.
- Place chicken in large resealable plastic bag with marinade and refrigerate overnight.
- To make sauce, combine LA VICTORIA® Green Taco Sauce, lime juice, sugar and cilantro in small saucepot and bring to a simmer.
- Turn grill to medium-low heat.
- Place chicken skin side up and cook 15 minutes or until underside is golden brown.
- Turn chicken skin side down and place foil-wrapped brick or cast iron skillet on top of chicken. Cook another 15 to 20 minutes or until skin is rich golden brown in color.
- Turn chicken over and increase heat on grill to medium-high. Place green onions on grill 2 minutes or until charred, turning often.
- Meanwhile, allow chicken to continue cooking 5 minutes then test for doneness; meat thermometer should register 165ºF.
- Move chicken to platter and let rest 5 minutes before carving and serving with sauce.