We have a local farm spitting out great carrots though I’ve heard carrots are best after the first frost then they get some real sweetness to them. Nevertheless, I got 2 bunches from the farm specifically for making a carrot cake. Then my 4YO had a request; he’d like cookies instead … challenge accepted. Here is my recipe for Carrot Cake Cookies.
Adorable Carrot Cake Cookies Recipe
¾ cup milk
¾ cup applesauce, unsweetened
4 Tablespoons butter, unsalted and softened, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, divided
1 cup flour
½ cup wheat germ
½ cup quick oats
¼ ground flaxseed
2 cups (shredded) carrots
1 cup raisins
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill coconut, shredded unsweetened
16 ounces cream cheese
1½ cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon milk (2% or higher)
1. Preheat oven to 350oF. Grease your cookie sheets.
2. With your Kitchen Aid Stand Mix using the whisk attachment mix together eggs, milk, applesauce, 3 Tablespoons butter and extracts. While in stir mode add in cinnamon, baking soda and 1 cup brown sugar.
3. Wash carrots and remove greens with ¼ inch top of carrot.
4. Stop mixer and add shredding attachment to your Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. Drop in flour, wheat germ, oats, and flaxseed into bowl with wet ingredients. While stirring in bowl, shred carrots.
5. Stop mixer and add carrots, raisins, and coconut to mix and stir until they appear throughout the dough.
6. Drop cookies onto baking sheet. Cook for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Regrease your cookie sheet for each batch!
7. In the meantime, boil carrot tops for 8 minutes or until tender enough to pierce with a fork. Quickly drain fluid and run cold water over tops. Place tops in a skillet with 1 teaspoon butter and 2 Tablespoons brown sugar.
8. While everything is cooling, whip together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and milk.
9. When cookies and carrots are cool, frost cookies and decorate with carrot tops.
Yields 4 Dozen
Summer is very active in our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living while cooking up a storm.