Bleach Blonde Brownies Recipe
I know I’m not the only one, remember bleaching your hair with lemon juice? My friends and I did this in high school during the summers. It actually made good highlights, or maybe those were natural … who knows!?!
We’ve been having some spring here in the Pacific Northwest and it has me itching for summertime or really just some more “no jacket” weather. I love it! And so I was inspired …
1 cup salted butter, softened
1/3 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350oF.
2. Cream together butter and sugars. Add vanilla and egg mix.
3. Add in wheat germ, flaxseed, flour, soda, and powder. Stir in all dry ingredients at the same time. (For even distribution and so you don’t have to dirty another bowl.)
4. Mix until moist and dough-like.
5. Press into a 9×13 ungreased dish. Cook in preheated oven for about 20 minutes (or until golden brown). Remove and stab with fork throughout brownie (we’re NOT looking for it to be cooked completely; we’re making holes for the “bleaching” mixture to seep into.)
1 ½ cups sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 medium to large lemons (as desired)
2 tablespoons powdered sugar (or as desired)
1. Beat eggs to blend whites and yolks. Cream in sugar. Add flour and stir. Temper in butter so as not to cook the eggs.
2. Roll lemons to loosen juice. Zest lemons into mixture.
3. Cut lemons in half and juice into the palm of your hand into a liquid measuring cup for easy seed removal. Pour (or strain) juice into mixture. Mix together.
4. Pour lemon custard over hole-y blonde brownies. Bake for an additional 30 minutes (or until golden brown)*. Cook completely, about 1 hour at room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
5. Store brownies in refrigerator for a refreshing lemon treat. Warm a knife (either under the faucet or have a mug of warm water handy) for easy clean cutting. Relax and enjoy!
*Note: This brownie will come out looking a little runny as the “bleaching” is actually a lemon custard.
Summer is the President of our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living.