With fall just around the corner, I’m setting up our family to do lots of hiking, outdoor enjoying, football gaming, and more. Fall is one of my favorite seasons (though I think I say that about all of them…) and I love to stay on the go. Atticus is past the babywearing stage for the most part, but when he was smaller, it didn’t stop me from staying on the go. Thanks to our great baby carrier, I was able to strap him on for trips to the park, short hikes, sightseeing, heading to a pumpkin patch, and even picking out a Christmas tree! I wasn’t one of the moms who wore him ALL the time, but I loved the freedom that babywearing gave me. I could snuggle him up next to me, and hit the trail… LITERALLY!
All of this is why I am SO EXCITED to let you guys know that Britax wants to do a giveaway! Britax is often known for their carseats (I have 2 of them myself!), but they make great babywearing gear too. They’re just feeling pretty giving right now and want to let us share that with you guys. J No arguments here!
I haven’t personally tried the Britax Baby Carrier, but there are 2 things about it that I absolutely love. I love how it provides multiple positions (facing in and out). That was always the toughest part about baby carriers – convincing your baby that they didn’t need to look around. I also love how in the facing in position, children are not just dangling, but sitting down.
I know I’ve told you why I loved wearing my baby around, but Britax sent me a list of 10 Babywearing Benefits and I would love to share it with you. These tips come from Jamie Grayson at The BabyGuyNYC.
1. Happy Baby: One thing that stresses parents out the most is a fussy nugget, and according to a study in Pediatrics, babies who are worn for at least 3 hours throughout a day have reduced crying by 43 percent1
2. Aides in Development: The first three months of a newborn’s life are often referred to as “The Fourth Trimester,” and carrying a new nugget close to your heart helps her adapt to life outside the womb by becoming familiar with your breathing rhythm, heartbeat and voice.2
3. Feeding on the Fly: Have a hungry nugget and you’re out and about? Breastfeeding can be easily accomplished while wearing a baby.
4. Hands-Free Traveling: Jet setting with the family? Of course you’ll need a stroller when you’re traveling to and from your destination, but try gate checking your stroller and boarding with your snuggling nugget in a baby carrier. It’s amazing how “handy” two free hands can be!
5. Keeping up with Life: A comfortable baby carrier offers the wearer the freedom to complete routine household chores while sharing the time with your little nugget.
6. Keep Moving: For people who like to get outside, wearing a baby is an ideal way to navigate everything from the concrete jungle to cobblestone streets. You can conquer any terrain with a baby carrier
7. Bonding can be Shared: Wearing a baby is a great way for partners, dads, grandparents, adoptive parents and other caregivers to bond with your baby. You carried him for nine months…Let someone else enjoy carrying him, too!
8. Calm Babies are Observant: Babies who are worn are usually calmer, allowing them to appreciate the world around them. A calmed baby is better able to observe social cues and develop healthy relationships.
9. Shopping is Less Taxing: Grocery Run? It is so much easier to wear a baby and push a shopping cart than to navigate with shopping cart and stroller. Leave the stroller at home and enjoy shopping baby.
10. Sleeping Baby = Peace of Mind: Nothing beats the feeling of looking down and seeing a sleeping nugget on your chest. Just unbuckle the front of the carrier and lay nugget down without even waking her up! Ahhhhh….Peace for everyone!
1 Hunziker, U. A. and Barr, R, G. (1986). Increased carrying reduces infant crying: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics, 77, 641-8, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3517799
2 Ludington-Hoe SM, Swinth JY. (1996). Developmental aspects of kangaroo care. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 25, 691-703
Now that you’ve been refreshed on all things Babywearing… you should do 2 things. First, enter to win this great Britax Baby Carrier giveaway.
We’re going to be choosing 2 winners! Second, go online and check out some of the great Britax products, like the Baby Carrier.
This giveaway has ended. Congratulations to the winners, Cindy A. and Debra B.
Please see the giveaway rules
About Ashley (Managing Editor at MomStart): Ashley is a mom, wife, sister, daughter, friend, and former teacher working to navigate through the mysterious world of Mommyia. Read more about her adventures at Momicles and follow her @Momicles2010 .