This recipe is from The Florida Department of Citrus and reprinted with permission. The Sweet ‘N’ Sour Citrus Yogurt Dough-Nuggets recipe looks great and it comes with 5 tips.
5 Easy Ways to Add OJ:
- Substitute 100% Florida OJ for a portion of the vinegar in homemade dressing or marinades for a zing.
- OJ is a great way to naturally sweeten smoothies. Blend with carrot juice or low-fat frozen yogurt to add a tangy flavor boost!
- When making your favorite pancake or waffle batter, substitute 100% Florida OJ for the water, milk or buttermilk to add a great flavor.
- A Sweet Tip for Dessert: Mix OJ with seltzer and a scoop of low-fat frozen yogurt for a citrus twist on an old-fashioned ice cream float.
- Make Fruit Skewers even more fruitful with a great dip! Just combine 100% OJ with low-fat vanilla yogurt and honey.
Sweet ‘N’ Sour Citrus Yogurt Dough-Nuggets
¾ cup vegetable oil
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons Florida orange juice
¼ cup Florida orange juice
½ pounds powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Florida orange zest
2 tablespoons Florida grapefruit zest
1 tablespoon Florida orange zest, if desired
1 tablespoon Florida grapefruit zest, if desired
Preheat oil in fryer to 375ºF.
Place all Dough-Nugget ingredients in mixing bowl; stir until combined.
Prepare Glaze: Combine all ingredients for glaze in mixing bowl; stir until combined. Set aside.
Drop Dough-Nugget batter by tablespoons into hot oil; fry until golden brown on all sides.
Place paper towels on wire cooling rack; drain Dough-Nuggets on paper towels.
Drizzle Dough-Nuggets with Sweet ‘N’ Sour Glaze; sprinkle with orange and grapefruit zest, if desired.