Spring brings out the DIY in me. I want to clear out all the old and get creative. We have this fantastic Spring Burlap Rustic Wooden Cross Wall Hanging project that is so simple to make and looks amazing. It would be a fantastic Easter Decoration that you might just want to keep out all year long.
DIY Burlap Rustic Wooden Cross Wall Hanging
· 6-Inch Burlap
· 12-14 Inch Piece of Wood
· Shop Towels
· Finishing Sand Paper
· Hot Glue Gun
· Picture Hanger
1. Begin by cutting your piece of wood. I used a 2×6 and cut it at 14 inches long. If you purchase your wood at a lumber store, they will cut it for free, saving you the time and hassle.
2. Sand your entire piece of wood with your finishing sand paper by hand to prep it for staining.
3. Once sanded, be sure it’s clear of any dust and then pre-stain the entire piece of wood using a basic foam brush. You do not need a lot. A little goes a long way with this stuff.
4. Leave the wood to sit for about an hour.
5. Once it feels dry, take a shop towel (one of those thick blue paper towels) and fold it in half four times.
6. Dip the tip of your folded towel in the stain of your choosing. We used a mahogany bay tint. You do not need a lot of this either. Using the towel, rub the stain into the wood and cover the entire piece of wood.
7. Give it about 20 minutes then take a clean shop towel and rub the entire piece of wood down to get rid of any excess stain. Leave it to dry for about 10-15 more minutes.
8. Take your burlap and wrap it around the cross long ways and measure it to where the two ends are overlapping in the back by about half an inch and then cut your burlap.
9. Pulling your burlap super tight and making sure it is centered, secure it in the back with your hot glue gun making sure to secure both the ends and the sides of the burlap.
10. Using a piece of twine, in the front of the piece of wood, cinch the burlap about 3 inches from the top and tie it tight with the twine.
11. Repeat steps 8-10 but horizontally.
12. Secure your picture hanger to the back and you’re ready to go!