Everyone has big dreams; even children. The Make-A-Wish Foundation is known for making big dreams come true for children with life-threatening medical conditions. When a child is chosen to receive a wish there are no hurdles too high! Children have joined sports teams; played in concerts for large audiences in desired venues; gone to landmarks and choice vacation locations; had their dream job for a day; met superheroes and princess; etc.
Make-A-Wish actually began in 1980 from one little boy’s wish to become a police officer. He got his wish and passed away 4 days later. The Make-A-Wish founders (one founder being the boy’s mom) felt so moved by the smiles and momentary release of the child’s pain during his wish that they started a foundation which became a non-profit and has enough money to grant a second wish only one year later, in 1981. To date more than 250,000 wishes have been granted and counting.
You can donate directly to The Make-A-Wish Foundation and this holiday season you can also support Make-A-Wish even more while you shop:
· Now until December 11, the Disney Store is offering a Mickey or Minnie holiday plush for only $10 with a minimum $40 purchase. From the sale of each plush $1 will be donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, up to $50,000. You can shop at the Disney Store online or find a store near you.
· Macy’s offers two ways to help with their Believe campaign and Thanks for Sharing campaign. Macy’s Believe is already in full swing with mailboxes in every Macy’s store; just deposit a stamped letter to Santa into the designated letterbox Macy’s will donate $1, up to $1 million, to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Macy’s Thanks for Sharing is for Macy’s card holders which allows 10% rewards on participating holiday purchases through December 31. Macy’s Thanks for Sharing campaign has an enrollment fee for $25 of which $10 is donated to charities including (but not limited to) the Make-A-Wish Foundation, up to $15 million.
· Avis is offering Make-A-Wish friends up to 25% off on every rental. Avis will also donate 5% to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. See the Avis site for full details.
· GameStop is offering specially marked Make-A-Wish Foundations gift cards in stores only nationwide. For each card purchased Game Stop will donate $1 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, up to $100,000.
· Things Remembered is offering 10 engravable items this holiday season. With the purchase of each a $2 donation will be giving to Make-A-Wish.
· Hard Rock Café International is giving 15% of the purchase price of the Ringo Starr Signature Series T-shirt and pin to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Other giving companies include TSS Photography, Cheryle’s, Speedco, Helzberg Diamonds, Ghirardelli, Black Bear Diner, Zaxby’s, Subaru, Discover Card, Creative Memories, Toys R Us, Learning Care Group, Bank of America and Wishes in Flight. I also always enjoy the Cold Stone Creamery Make-A-Wish days where the ice cream is free and donations can be made to benefit my local Make-A-Wish Foundation chapter.
You can find Make-A-Wish Internationally, the foundation of the United States, or connect with a local chapter. Connect with Make-A-Wish on Facebook and Twitter as well. You can also sign-up to receive The Make-A-Wish Foundation’s newsletter and keep up to date on the foundation and their newest dreams come true.
Summer is very active in our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living while cooking up a storm.