May and June was pretty chaotic for me. Between family weddings, moving cross country, and driving all over the Mid-Atlantic… things were CRAZY! Along the way, I went to my very first blogging conference – Reviewer’s Retreat 2012.
I’ve LOVED working with Pampers here on MomStart, so having them sponsor me to Reviewer’s Retreat was really exciting. I love meeting people and putting names and faces together, so that part of the conference was fantastic. On top of the learning, networking, and socializing, I was able to spend time with my little guy at Great Wolf Lodge (where there is an incredible indoor waterpark).
Since it was my first conference, I really had no idea what to expect. I’ve been to teaching conferences before, and even dance conventions when I was younger, but a blogging conference? This was all new to me. The gals over at Double Duty Divas really had it all laid out though – a HUGE help to someone like me who is new to the game… AND likes to plan. They had a ton of information and resources laid out from the get go.
So what did I learn about blog conferences?
– Make sure you have business cards accessible pretty much ALL the time. It’s a great way to connect with other bloggers, brand representatives, and anyone else who might be around.
– Take notes when you meet people. Just like you’re going to be handing out your cards, everyone else is handing out theirs. Add a little note on yours about who you are or what you talked about so they remember you… and do the same on the card they hand you. If you talked to them about the trials of potty training a 2 year old, write that little note on the card. It will help when you’re back in your room trying to remember which who gave you what card.
– Sponsors help provide goodies for attendees. Want to know what I loved? As a top sponsor of Reviewer’s Retreat, Pampers gave attendees a beach towel and Pampers Swimmers diapers! PERFECT for spending time at Great Wolf Lodge! I can proudly say that we used both! =)
– There is SO MUCH to learn about the blogging industry… and yes I did just call it an industry. Between the sessions that Reviewer’s Retreat 2012 had to offer and the information I collected from other bloggers, my take-away from this conference was invaluable!
– Bloggers know how to have fun! With a tailgate team pride party the first night (hosted by Kia), and an AMAZING pajama party (complete with cupcake bar, chocolate fountain, and scavenger hunt – hosted by Pampers), there was never a dull moment.
The only tough thing about going to Reviewer’s Retreat was splitting my time between Atticus (who was well taken care of by my brother and sister who came along) and the conference. I wanted to be at every session and every meeting… but also wanted to be with Atticus as he took his first trip to a waterpark. My lesson learned is to show up a day early to have fun before getting to work. 😉
So… THANK YOU PAMPERS! You guys have been amazing to work with here at MomStart, were SO nice in person at Reviewer’s Retreat 2012, make a fantastic product, AND know how to have a GREAT pajama party!
Meet Ashley (Managing Editor at MomStart): Ashley is a mom, wife, sister, daughter, friend, and former teacher working to navigate through the mysterious world of Mommyia. Read more about her adventures at Momicles and follow her @Momicles2010 .
Disclosure – Pampers provided my admission to Reviewer’s Retreat 2012. I am a Pampers Baby Board Ambassador.