Between the buckets of leftover Halloween candy and extra holiday activities, this is a challenging month to eat well. This time last year, Jai and I were on a pre-portioned diet program, which meant we didn’t have to think or worry about what to eat – all our portions and meals were already taken care of, which made it effortless to stay on track. Now that we’re “On our own”, so to speak, I have to think ahead to make sure I’ve got good options I can grab with a minimum of fuss. I’ve been inspired by recipes like this one for lettuce cups to create my own easy version; this is what I created for lunch recently.
Recipe Note: This recipe utilizes pre-cooked chicken breasts. To save time, I’ve been baking several trays of boneless, skinless chicken breasts seasoned with Char Crust, then freezing them in individual bags. Then, when I’m ready to eat, I can defrost one of the chicken breasts in my microwave and use it for whatever I want to cook (Or just eat it by itself!). Because the chicken breasts are already seasoned, I didn’t add any additional flavorings to the recipe, but you can easily adapt this to whatever you have on hand.
The caloric amount on this is approximate, as I did my best to work out how many calories each ingredient has using Google. This recipe feeds two – these are modest lunchtime portions, but you can easily bulk this up with more veggies as desired.
- 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast - fully cooked & seasoned
- 2 slices of white onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped broccoli
- 2 pieces of iceberg lettuce
- 1 tsp. cooking oil
- Defrost the pre-cooked chicken in the microwave, then chop it into small pieces; put aside.
- Add oil, onion and broccoli to a frying pan and cook on medium-high until the onions being to turn translucent. Add the chicken and stir. After a minute, turn the heat down to medium-low and cook until the chicken is heated through,
- Take your head of iceberg lettuce and carefully lift off two pieces so that they retain their natural "Cup" shape. Place on two plates and spoon the chicken and vegetable mixture into each lettuce cup. Eat and enjoy!