Oh wow, it’s Spring, Of course if you live where I live you would hardly know it. My neighbor sent me this the other day and it cracked me up…
███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 44% DONE.
Install delayed….please wait.
Installation failed. Please try again. 404 error: Season not found.
Season "Spring" cannot be located. The season you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try again.
Well, for much of the country I’m pretty sure it’s arrived and then summer will be here before you know it, unless you’re already in the 90’s and if feels like summer is upon you. Anyways according to Ben Hamza, Ph.D., director of technical operations at TruGreen, there are a few spring lawn and landscape tips to prepare your yard for a healthy summer:
1. Clean Area: Thoroughly clear dead leaves and debris from flower beds and lawn that may impede new spring growth.
2. Prune: Conduct corrective pruning of trees and shrubs to enhance plant appearance and vigor, and thin rather than top-shear overgrown shrubs and trees to preserve their overall shape. Make sure not to prune trees and shrubs that bloom in early spring, with the exception of removing dead branches.
3. Mulch: When your lawn is actively growing, return grass clippings back to the soil for added lawn nutrients and consider using composted materials to nourish plants. Apply three inches of organic mulch to base of shrubs and trees to help conserve soil moisture and to reduce weed pressure, but be mindful not to cover the flare of the tree base.
4. Right Plant, Right Place: Plant the right type of grass for your lawn to ensure a green, healthy turf. Where grass has difficulty growing, plant shade-adapted ground covers for landscape appeal.
5. Feed: Spring lawn, tree and shrub roots seek nourishment after the dormancy of winter. Keep fertilizer on target to prevent run-off and sweep fertilizer granules that may reach pavement back onto your lawn. Use a trained professional company, such as TruGreen, that offers customized solutions to lawn and landscape problems based on your region’s needs.
6. Check Irrigation: Follow the owner’s operating manual to take an automated sprinkler system out of hibernation. Ensure sprinkler heads and related water lines are working properly. Give your lawn a slow, steady watering about once a week, but adjust depending upon rainfall, grass and soil type in your area. Also ensure the irrigation system covers your landscape efficiently. For example, you can place a one-inch deep food can in the middle of the lawn area to measure the depth of water collected after each watering cycle to ensure uniformity.
7. Protect Against Elements: The beautiful blooms of spring are vulnerable to frost. With an expected cold snap, cover flowering plants before the sun goes down to maximize heat trapped by the plants. Create a tent of warmth with plastic tarps, cardboard, bed sheets or special plant frost protection blankets available at your local nursery or home improvement retailer.
My Botanic Planet.com
TruGreen collaborated with Memphis Botanic Garden to launch My Botanic Planet.com, a free online educator resource to inspire K-5 students’ interest in the diverse plant world. Go towww.mybotanicplanet.comto access national standardized lessons in botany and related games and activities to organize with your children.
About the TruStories Sweepstakes:
TruGreen wants to know your stories, yes your lawn stories. To celebrate your real stories for creating your ideal outdoor living rooms by offering the TruGreen TruStories Sweepstakes. The Grand Prize winner will receive a $25,000 MasterCard reward card, perfect for creating a backyard oasis to share with family and friends. WOW, 25,000.00. what an awesome prize!
In addition, 50 first prize $500 MasterCard reward cards and 38 weekly prize $250 MasterCard reward cards will be awarded. The sweepstakes is open to legal U.S. residents 18 years or older. Go to www.TruGreenSweepstakes.com/winnow through October 16, 2011, to enter and to obtain official sweepstakes rules. Entrants can also participate by printing their name, complete address, daytime and evening phone numbers, age, email address and “The TruStories Sweepstakes” on a 3”x5” card and mail it to: “The TruStories Sweepstakes,” P.O. Box 511215, New Berlin, WI 53151 or “The TruStories Sweepstakes,” P.O. Box 511425, New Berlin, WI 53151. No purchase is necessary to enter or to win.
Enter to Win:
$125 TruGreen gift card good for approximately two TruGreen treatments for lawn, tree and shrub care. Because each homeowner’s lawn is different, a licensed TruGreen specialist can recommend what treatment would be best for the card recipient’s yard.
Tell me about your lawn and what it needs?
Tweet or RT this post and include the link to the post
Prepare Your Lawn for Summer TruStories TruGreen Sweepstakes & #Giveaway @Momstart http://bit.ly/gRtDG8
Enter to Win 2 TruGreen treatments $125.00 Value #Giveaway @Momstart http://bit.ly/gRtDG8 Ends 5/9 http://fb.me/PpjaUIlB
Subscribe to MomStart
Comment on any non-giveaway post
List this giveaway on any giveaway site, dig, stumble, like or share on Facebook (or use any of the share options listed below)
Blog About this Giveaway (10 extra entries, linking to the giveaway)
Follow me on twitter tell me your twitter ID
Follow/Like Mom Start on Facebook
Follow me on Google Friend Connect
This giveaway ends May 9th. All rules can be found under giveaway rules.