Especially with the Olympics going on, sports seem to be at the top of most everyone’s list. Seems like the perfect time to talk about America’s pastime… BASEBALL! When we lived in Seattle, we were lucky enough to make it to several Mariners games. Now that we’re back in NC, the Durham Bulls are who we go to visit when we want a great family sports outing.
Let me start off by saying that I am not a person who just likes to turn on a baseball game at home on TV. Going to a ball field though? Sitting in the stands cheering for the hometeam? Count me in! That’s why having a great AAA baseball team nearby is a wonderful thing. We can go cheer on the Durham Bulls, enjoy being a part of the action, snack on some ballpark goodies while we’re there, and make memories that will last a lifetime.
The Durham Bulls is a triple-A minor league baseball team in Durham, NC. I think part of my romance with the Durham Bulls has to come from the old movie, Bull Durham. Yes, that is a pretty girly answer, but hey – I’m a girl! Other than the fact that the Durham Bulls were featured in a few baseball movies, why else should you try to catch a game?
– The Durham Bulls Athletic Park is a clean and safe facility. The seats are organized and easy to find. Bathrooms are clean and easy to get to (a HUGE factor for any mom).
– The prices of concessions aren’t horribly overpriced (when compared to other ballpark pricing) and everything I had was good ballpark quality. Not to mention, some of the vendors are run by community organizations, so when you buy stuff, part of your money goes to a good cause! =)
– There are no bad seats… seriously. You have a good view from wherever you are. One of the benefits of a smaller park.
– It won’t completely break your budget! A trip to see the Durham Bulls isn’t going to push you to eating rice rations for the rest of the month. Ticket prices vary, but you can get in with great seats starting as low as $.4.50 each (Special 2 for $9 Tuesdays hosted by Whole Foods).
– Wool E. Bull – one of the coolest, friendliest, funniest mascots I’ve had the pleasure to meet.
Our day at the ballpark was AWESOME. We’ll definitely be heading back before the season is over. Even if you don’t live near Durham, you should definitely check out some minor league baseball action close to you. It’s DEFINITELY a great family experience.
About Ashley (Managing Editor at MomStart): Ashley is a mom, wife, sister, daughter, friend, and former teacher working to navigate through the mysterious world of Mommyia. Read more about her adventures at Momicles and follow her @Momicles2010 .