Some children love to read, my kids do and they can’t even make out the words yet. To help them learn we’re playing word games, using flash cards and reading to them aloud as often as possible. Kellogg’s and Scholastic Book Clubs want to help families make the best of this school year with free books and balanced breakfasts. Kellogg’s understands the positive impact reading at home every day can have on students’ success in the classroom. That’s why they’ve partnered with Walmart and Scholastic Book Clubs. With the purchase of specially marked Kellogg’s products at Walmart stores, parents can redeem a coupon for a free Scholastic book of their child’s choice.
And since nine out of 10 kids are more likely to finish a book they choose themselves, letting your little ones pick the books they love can help build daily reading habits. To further encourage in-home reading, parents can access free reading resources at www.scholastic.com/readeveryday, part of Scholastic’s Read Every Day global literacy campaign. As part of the campaign they have offered these tips for engaging children in reading at home.
Tips for Engaging Children in Reading At Home
Parents can help prepare their kids for success in the classroom by following a few tips on how to encourage reading outside of school.
· Make reading a social event: Family book clubs can be a great way to turn reading into a social activity while incorporating family and friends.
· Let your kids have a say: Let kids choose which books they want to read. Nine out of 10 children say they are more likely to finish books they choose themselves, according to Scholastic’s 2010 Kids and Family Reading Report.
· Start the day right: Breakfast can help kids boost their academic performance by increasing their focus. Before heading out the door for school, have a complete breakfast. Cereal, fruit and milk is a convenient option that kids love.
· Turn reading into a fun family experience: Add fun to reading by having an animated, read-out-loud session during an after-school break with snacks such as Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars or curling up with a great story before bedtime.
· Get A Great Start: Kellogg’s and Scholastic are teaming up to help families get a great start to the school year by providing a coupon for free Scholastic book valued up to $5 with the purchase of two specially marked Kellogg’s products at Walmart.
Enter to Win:
A Kellogg’s-Scholastic Book Club kit (includes cereal and snacks like the photo above along with scholastic books)
Comment on this post with your favorite Scholastic book growing up (Clifford the Big Red Dog, The Magic School Bus, Scooby Doo, etc.)
Please use the rafflecopter
This giveaway ends November 30th. Please see the giveaway rules and the other rules: http://scholasticbloggergiveawayrules.com/scholastic-rules/
Kellogg Company® has provided me with a Kellogg’s-Scholastic Book Club kit to conduct a reader giveaway. However, my opinions about the product are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive sentiments toward Kellogg Company or its products.