Keeping Braces Clean in A Sugar Filled Month
I’m a Damon Diva, an ambassador sharing my experience with the Damon Clear, virtually invisible, brackets working with the Damon System. Being a Damon Diva (I’m compensated for my time) I’ve been so surprised at how many people comment on how good my teeth look. To me, I’ve seen the gap close in my top two teeth and I was so excited. As the months passed then I found that in order to get rid of the overbite we had to pull my teeth back and a new gap formed in the bottom, but no one noticed except me. And it’s already gone. Now I’m a millimeter away from our goal. YES! I’m almost to my new smile.
Now, I’m fully aware of how to keep your braces clean having had my braces for 9 months now. And with a sugar filled month such as October, it’s a bit harder to resist all of those sugary treats, and I’m sure that the best advice would be for me to tell you to avoid them all together but who does that? I sure don’t. I do avoid the extra sticky treats like caramel and taffy but I have a huge sweet tooth and love candy. I adore ice cream, cake and cookies too. So the main thing I do is brush my teeth after every time I eat. I try to floss to but I don’t always keep floss with me.
Why should you avoid sugar?
Candy usually contains sugar, creating bacteria that causes tooth decay.
Here are nine tips for a sugar filled night
1) Avoid excessive consumption of these sugary treats, candy and drinks
2) Keep a toothbrush with you
3) Lessen the amount of time the sugar is present in the mouth
4) Brush right after eating the candy and sugary treats.
5) Avoid sticky candy such as taffy, gummy bears, caramel, etc. Sticky Candy adheres to teeth and leads to decay.
6) If you can’t brush then you should rinse your mouth out with water after having your sweets.
7) Choose sugar free gum and chew it.
8) The increased saliva production while eating will help wash the sweet off the teeth.
9) Having braces means you should avoid hard candies all together but if you decide to suck on some mints or other none chewy hard candies, it’s best to eat them as quickly as possible because the longer the sugar is in your mouth the more time it has to become sugar bugs.