According to Johnsonville, hot flavors are on the rise across America. To meet the emerging needs of consumers, Johnsonville is introducing a Hot & Spicy Breakfast Link. Made with Premium Cuts of Pork and the perfect blend of spices, new Gluten-Free Hot ‘n Spicy breakfast sausages are a great addition to any breakfast and can be made into any meal. Here is a recipe they created to try the new sausage in.
Mexican Tortilla Casserole Recipe
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) JOHNSONVILLE® Hot & Spicy Breakfast Sausage Links
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced mild green chilies
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper jack cheese
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips, divided
- 10 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cook sausage according to package directions; cut into small pieces and set aside.
3. In a skillet, sauté onion and bell pepper in oil until almost tender. Stir in garlic and chili powder; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the sausage and chilies; set aside.
4. In a bowl, combine the cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, green onion and cilantro.
5. Arrange half of the tortilla chips over the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
6. Layer with half of the sausage mixture and half of the cheese mixture; repeat layers.
7. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and hot pepper sauce; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining tortilla chips.
8. Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.