This month Hormel sent me some Herdez® salsa verde and as much as I love just dipping chips and tortillas into it, I love cooking with salsa as well. It’s something that my step mom used to do with salsa. So Try this recipe from Hormel.
I’m a member of Hormel Family blogging Ambassadors and receive samples.
Homemade Chicken Taquitos Recipe
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 corn tortillas, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup Herdez® Salsa Verde
- 1/2 cup peas, thawed
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- Herdez® salsa verde, Wholly Guacamole®, sour cream and queso fresco
- To make taquitos, in bowl, combine cheese blend, chicken and cumin; mix well. Place about 1/4 cup chicken mixture on each tortilla. Roll up tortillas tightly; secure each with wooden pick. Lightly brush rolled tortillas with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- In large skillet, heat remaining 3 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium heat; cook rolled tortillas until lightly browned.
- To make Mexican Rice, in medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add rice; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, water and salsa verde.
- Cover saucepan; reduce heat to low. Cook 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in peas. Let stand covered 5 minutes.
- Heat refried beans according to package directions.
- Serve taquitos with Mexican rice, warm refried beans, salsa verde, guacamole, sour cream and queso fresco.