Today is the first day of Lent, for those who are observing it. With this in mind, CRS Rice Bowl is sharing another meatless recipe – this time, from Nicaragua:
Recipe courtesy CRS Rice Bowl.
· 1 large onion, finely chopped
· 1 bell pepper, chopped
· 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
· 4 tablespoons FAIR TRADE olive oil
· 2 cups rice
· 4 cups water
· Two 16-ounce cans red beans, drained
· 1 bay leaf
· Salt and black pepper to taste
· Fried egg or cheese (optional)
In a large pot, sauté onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil. Stir in rice. Cook, stirring often, until onions are soft. Add water and cook, covered, until most of the water has been absorbed. Add beans and bay leaf. Mix well and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add more water, if necessary. Serve hot with cheese or fried egg.