Our final CRS Rice Bowl recipe comes to us from the Democratic Republic of Congo:
Fried Plantains and Beans
Ingredients – Fried Plantains:
· 6 ripe green plantains
· Salt to taste
· 6 tablespoons FAIR TRADE olive oil
Peel plantains and cut into thin slices. Lightly salt both sides. Pour oil into pan and heat. Carefully place each plantain slice into oil and fry each side until golden. Drain on rack or paper towel.
Ingredients – Beans:
· 1 large onion, finely chopped
· 2 tablespoons FAIR TRADE olive oil
· Two 16-ounce cans of black beans, drained
· 1 large tomato, chopped
· Paprika and chili pepper to taste
In a large pan, sauté onion in oil, then add beans, tomato, paprika and chili pepper. Cook over low heat until hot. Serve with plantains.