Today’s CRS Rice Bowl recipe comes to us from Lebanon:
Recipe courtesy CRS Rice Bowl.
· One 32-ounce container of plain whole milk yogurt
· 1 bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
· 1 teaspoon dry mint
· 2 garlic cloves, crushed
· Two 16-ounce cans chickpeas
· Pita bread
· Almonds, chopped, toasted (optional)
· 2 tablespoons FAIR TRADE olive oil
Place a colander into a bowl, line it with cheesecloth and place yogurt in it. Cover and place in refrigerator. Allow yogurt to drain for a few hours, or overnight.
Combine drained yogurt, fresh and dry mint, and crushed garlic in a bowl. In a pan, heat chickpeas in their liquid until warm, then drain and set aside. Toast pita bread in oven until golden in color. Break some of the pita bread and place pieces in a large bowl with chickpeas. Add yogurt mixture. Top with fresh mint and toasted almonds. Drizzle olive oil over top. Serve with remaining pita bread.