Guiding Stars are sharing a yummy casserole recipe with us:
Recipe courtesy Guiding Stars.
1 T. olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 c. plain, no salt added tomato sauce
To taste: cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic
1 can no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can low-sodium refried beans
10-12 corn tortillas
1 sm. can of diced green chiles
1/2 to 2 large diced jalapeños
1 c. mushrooms, quartered
2 c. fresh spinach
1 c. corn
1 c. part-skim cheese, shredded
1 avocado, sliced
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the diced onion until it starts to soften.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the tomato sauce, spices to taste, black beans and refried beans.
3. Add the rest of the vegetables to the sauce and bring to a simmer.
4. Layer the casserole in a 9×13 baking pan. Start by adding a thin layer of the sauce to the bottom. Next add a layer of tortillas. Alternate sauce and tortillas until there’s about 1/4″ of space left.
5. Sprinkle the cheese on top and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 Degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese browns. Garnish with avocado.
Number of Servings: 10 (225 G)
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes