If it wasn’t for scholarships I wouldn’t have gotten out of college loan debt so soon. I had a lot of help but others I know like my husband had no help and college is expensive. We often talk about how we can start saving for our kids but we haven’t done that yet. Both of my children like to draw so I’m thinking about letting them enter the Doodle for Google Scholarship Competition.
Last year, third-grader Eva Lindberg of Bellevue, Wash. got statewide media attention just for drawing a doodle. That’s because she was chosen as the WA state finalist in Google’s annual Doodle 4 Google contest.
Today Google kicks off its 2014 Doodle 4 Google competition, giving Washington state K-12 students another chance to win some major perks:
· Have his or her doodle displayed on the Google homepage for 24 hours
· Receive a $30K scholarship and $50K Google for Education grant for a tech lab in their school, along with other goodies
· For the first time ever, the winner will travel to Google’s headquarters in California to spend a day with the Doodle team to bring their doodle to life through animation.
Teachers can also bring Doodle 4 Google into their classroom in a number of ways, including:
· Utilizing three, free lesson plans with videos from Google’s own Doodlers
· Integrating technology by joining in a “Connected Classroom” — a Google Hangout on Air — where a Google Doodler will take the class through the creative process for one of their personal favorite doodles, from idea to final creation
This year’s theme is “If I could invent one thing to make the world a better place…” So many of the world’s greatest inventions started out as simple doodles — just think of Leonardo da Vinci’s drawings of flying machines long before airplanes were made. Google hopes students will think big, and surprise them with their creative ideas, just like they’ve done in years past!
Students can submit doodles until March 20, and Google will announce a winner from every state on April 29. After that, the public will vote for their favorite doodle from the 50 state winners, so that’ll be your chance to alert your audience to this voting opportunity.