It’s a New Year, which means that many of us are working on our health & fitness resolutions. Next week, I’ll be interviewing fitness expert Denise Austin about smart strategies for keeping on track with wellness goals; in the meantime, she’s sharing this delicious and nutritious recipe for chicken lettuce wraps:
Chicken Lettuce Wraps With Sesame Green Beans
Recipe courtesy Denise Austin.
10 oz. cooked skinless boneless chicken breast, finely diced
1 (8 oz.) can water chestnuts, drained and diced
1 (8 oz.) can bamboo shoots, drained and diced
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp. lower–‐sodium soy sauce (if following a gluten–‐free diet, check ingredients to ensure soy sauce is gluten–‐free)
1 to 2 tsp. chili paste (such as sriracha)
10 large lettuce leaves, separated, washed, and patted dry
3/4 pound (about 3 cups) green beans, trimmed
2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
1 cup cooked brown rice (or quinoa)
1. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, scallions, garlic, and cilantro.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, and chili paste.
3. Add 3 Tbsp. of the dressing to the chicken mixture (reserve the rest for the green beans) and stir well. Place 5 lettuce leaves on each plate and divide the chicken mixture evenly between the 10 lettuce leaves.
4. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until tender–‐crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer the beans to a colander and rinse under cold water.
5. Divide the green beans evenly between the 2 plates. Top each portion of green beans with a drizzle
of the remaining dressing and 1 tsp. sesame seeds.
6. Serve each portion with ½ cup rice.