It’s the season of giving, and what better way to get into the spirit than by involving your children? In conjunction with Make the World Better with a Sweater Day on December 12th, we are bringing you 12 ideas for helping your young ones give back to other children:
- Find a local “Giving tree” and have your child pick someone to shop for. Let them pick out a cool gift and wrap it for the needy child.
- Pick up some kid-friendly treats at the store and have your child assist you in delivering them to a local food bank.
- Look up volunteering opportunities in your area that focus on needy children in the community. Discuss them with your child and pick one to do together.
- Have them pick out a child to sponsor and let them write letters to the child.
- Bake up a batch of yummy treats with your child that they can take to school to share with their classmates – just check with the teacher first to make sure it’s OK and that no one has allergies!
- Read kid-friendly news sites with your children. Learning about the world around them is one of the most important ways to build empathy and compassion for others.
- Challenge your child to do one nice thing for another child every day for 12 days. This could be smiling at another child, including a new kid during a game at recess, or letting their sibling have the last cookie.
- If you have extended family that live out of town, have your child draw a picture for one of their cousins or other young relatives to brighten their day!
- Have your children save up old soda cans, then return them for the bottle deposit; then have them choose a charity to donate it to.
- Ask your child to go through their closet and clean out any old toys they don’t want anymore; then donate them to a thrift store for other kids to enjoy.
- Brainstorm with your child on what they think would be a great idea for helping other children. Kids are incredibly creative and often see solutions we don’t think of – so ask!
- On December 12th, have your child don a festive holiday sweater and donate $5 to Save the Children in honor of Make the World Better with a Sweater Day. You can donate online, by texting SWEATER to 20222, or by mailing a check to: Save the Children, 501 Kings Hwy E, Fairfield, Connecticut 06825. And however you choose to donate, make sure to take an “Elfie” in your fabulous sweater and tag it with #Sweater, letting your friends know why you’re wearing it – you might just inspire someone else to do the same, and help make the world better with their own sweater!
Enter To Win:
Save The Children wants to hear YOUR ideas for getting children involved in helping others! Share them with us, and enter to win a $50 Amazon gift card while you’re at it, courtesy Save The Children!
Enter via the Rafflecopter widget below. Giveaway ends on December 11th, 2014 at 11:00 PM PST and is open to US residents; click here to read our giveaway rules.