If you want to make an elegant appetizer that stands out, then take a page out a resort’s handbook: Meliá Caribe Tropical serves up luxury dishes at its restaurant The Level, and they’re sharing a recipe with us so we can recreate a little bit of the experience at home:
Bollitos de Yuca
Recipe courtesy Meliá Caribe Tropical
16 ounces yuca (cassava, tapioca)
0.5 liters whole milk
8 ounces Cheddar cheese
6 ounces all-purpose flour
1 ounce finely minced parsley
1 ounce salt
3 ounces butter
Oil for frying
1. Peel and cut yuca into small portions; boil them in lightly salt water until is tender. You can find yuca already peeled in the supermarket.
2. Once yuca is cooked, removed from water and mashed, add butter, milk, minced parsley and salt to taste, mash until is smooth.
3. Beat the egg in a small bowl. Put all-purpose flour on a separate bowl
4. Place a spoonful of mashed yuca in the palm of your hand pressing until it gets flat, put a small piece of cheddar cheese in the middle and using both hands give form of a croquette. Do the same with rest of the dough.
5. Dip the croquettes in the beaten egg and coat with all-purpose flour by rolling in bowl.
6. Pour enough oil in a medium to large frying pan to cover 1/2 inch deep. Heat the oil for frying to about 355F degrees.
7. Place the yucca croquettes in the hot oil and fry, turning several times, until golden. Remove the yucca croquettes with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Serve immediately.