I decided that I wanted to try the Plated service that I saw on Facebook. I thought for $20 it would be a great way to try fresh ingredients that I don’t normally cook with and they provide everything you need for the recipe. Now the only catch was I didn’t realize that it automatically signed me up for weekly service and weekly it’s $49.00. I can purchase food much cheaper than that. So I’m not sure if it’s a service I would use regularly. This was my second week delivery and it did come out well.
Barley Risotto with Beets, Swiss Chard and Goat Cheese Recipe
7 ounces yellow beets
½ bunch Swiss chard
1 clove garlic
3 sprigs thyme
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup barley
½ cup white wine
4 ounces goat cheese
4 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt black pepper
1. Roast Beets Preheat oven to 425° F. Trim yellow beets and discard stems. Wash beets, peel, and cut into ½-inch dice. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast on bottom rack until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Prepare Swiss Chard Meanwhile, wash Swiss chard and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place on another foil- lined baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast above beets until wilted, about 10 minutes. Remove both baking sheets from oven. Add ingredients to a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Mince garlic. Remove thyme leaves from stems and ﬁnely mince. Place chicken stock in a medium pot. Whisk together and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low.
4. Start Risotto Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium high-sided pan over medium heat. When oil is shimmering. Add minced garlic and thyme and cook 1 minute. Add barley and cook, stirring to coat with oil, until edges begin to turn translucent, about 2 minutes.
5. Finish Risotto Add white wine to barley in pan, stir to combine, and continue to cook over medium heat until liquid is almost evaporated, about 2-3 minutes. Continue this technique with warm chicken stock, adding ½ cup at a time, until barley is tender with a slight chew and creamy, about 20-30 minutes.
6. Plate Risotto Remove pan from heat. Add goat cheese and stir to combine. Stir in roasted beets and Swiss chard. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Divide risotto evenly between 2 bowls and serve immediately.