Just around the corner is Cinco De Mayo and I hope to have time to cook something special for it. In regards that I hold dear for this fantastic holiday I decided to share this recipe I received over e-mail. This recipe is by Bonnie Marcus Cupcakes & Cocktails cookbook available at Amazon.
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup/1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup superfine sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
3 tablespoons tequila
juice and zest of 1 lime
3 large egg whites
¾ cup sugar
1 cup/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup triple sec
zest of 1 lime
green food coloring
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 12-hole cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
2) Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Put the butter and superfine sugar into a separate bowl and beat until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add half of the flour mixture and the milk, tequila, and lime zest and juice and beat until combined. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix.
3) Spoon the batter into the paper liners and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until a toothpick pushed into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 1 – 2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
4) To make the frosting, put the egg whites and sugar in the top of a double boiler (or use a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water) and whisk over simmering water until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from the heat and whisk the mixture for 4 – 5 minutes. Add the butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, and continue to whisk until the mixture holds stiff peaks. Add the triple sec, lime zest and 2 drops of food coloring and stir until just combined.
5) Spoon the frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a star-shaped tip and pipe it onto the cupcakes.