Battle of the Sexes is in theaters today and I highly recommend that you go see it. It’s a fantastic recreation of the story between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs. This is a story that I was really unfamiliar with but now that I know it I think everyone should know it. And to get you motivated to go see it we have 10 Fun Facts from the movie Battle of the Sexes that we learned from the Press Junket.
10 Fun Facts from Battle Of The Sexes
1. Number 1 fun fact is that .79 cents of every movie ticket is going to Billie Jean Kings charity.
2. This was Emma Stone’s first time to play a real person from history. She quickly realized that she wanted to learn more about Billie Jean King. She ended up spending time with her, watching old video footage and analyzing things that happened and the emotions that Billie Jean felt.
3. Natalie Morales played Rosie, she watched footage of her character with the the ABC anchor who really did treat Rosie like a little lady and not a sports announcer. It was so indicative of the times and how women were looked down upon.
4. The winner of the US Open won 3.7 Million, this is what she was fighting for. She fought for equality. Equal pay. The winner was a “woman of color” and that is something she feels proud of. Equality needs to be on all levels, not just for women but all women.
5. The heart of this movie was really focused on equal rights. Emma Stone said, Billy Jean King knew that if she could be the best in tennis she could use the platform to “change the world” and she did.
6. Steve Carell grew his hair out and used the same die color that Bobbie used. He didn’t wear a wig. Steve’s wife and family didn’t like his hair. They didn’t want to be seen with him on vacation.
7. Bobbie loved his children and tried to connect with them. It might not have been what they expected. Why didn’t his son go to the match. It was a crushing moment for Bobbie when his son didn’t go to the match.
8. There was a lot of poop when they were shooting the sheep scene. Steve jokingly said, “Sheep Shit”
9. The old logo of Fox was used in the opening of the movie, which was “really cool” (Billie Jean)
10. After the Battle of The Sexes when Billie Jean King was crying in the locker room, Billie Jean King said that Emma Stone did a great job, she said it was so authentic. Emma said that she thought about the scene throughout all of filming. She was working so hard, having issues with Larry, all her emotions, only four hours of sleep. How could Billie Jean King not break down like that.