Apple Fruit Pie
I didn’t want to make anything this week … I was lazy and then I started thinking and then I started doing and I made mini imitation Hostess Fruit Pies (Thank you ClearanceCuisine.com for such a great photo of a Hostess Pie).
I use to eat these as child. Of course they bragged about being filled with real fruit, however I liked the lemon ones best and I’m sure IF there was real fruit in the lemon ones it was very little!
And here is the process to make the Apple Fruit Pie in photos
Apple Fruit Pie Recipe
½ cup local Honey Yogurt
½ cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon clove
½ teaspoon ginger
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups AP flour
6 apples, peeled and chop/mince
½ cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350oF.
2. Mix together crust ingredients. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/8 to 1/16 inch thickness. Cut out circles. Use all the dough.
3. Combine all the filling ingredients. Cook on the stove top in a sauté pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Allow to cool for 2 minutes then strain excess juices. Spoon about 1 heaping Tablespoon of apples onto dough circles.
4. Fold circles in half (you may have to stretch them a bit to close, dough should allow for that). Press edges firmly together with a fork. Place on to cookie sheets for baking (they can be close to one another as these won’t rise).
5. Baking in preheated oven for 12 minutes or dough is browned.
6. Allow to cool before eating as insides will be hot!
Summer is very active in our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living while cooking up a storm.Powered by Sidelines