Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls Recipe

By Summer:

This was ALWAYS my favorite Christmas recipe. And you know what, it still is! YUM! My favorite thing is to eat them frozen. My mom use to freeze them to hide them from me, but I knew where they were and would sneak them. Because of this I grow up loving them best frozen.

Mix peanut butter, ½ cup butter, sugar, and vanilla

Form nickel-sized balls

Spear with a toothpick

After freezing the balls melt some chocolate and dip them

dip in chocolate

Put back in freezer

peanut butter ball

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls Recipe:

1½ cups peanut butter
16 ounces powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup butter, divided
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

1. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and place in the freezer.

2. Mix peanut butter, ½ cup butter, sugar, and vanilla. Remove frozen sheet. With hands form nickel-sized balls. Mixture will be stiff. Place balls on sheet and spear with a toothpick.

3. Once sheet is full place sheet back into the freezer and allow balls freeze while slowly melting together chocolate and ½ cup butter in a double boiler.

4. Remove balls from freezer and coat in chocolate as desired (I do a full dip though some like to do a ½ or ¾ dip) and replace onto waxed cookie sheet.

5. Freeze or refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer to allow chocolate to firm.

6. For storage, keep refrigerated.

About Summer:

Summer is very active in our Local MOMS Club chapter, she is the mother of two adorable active boys, and is always thinking of ways to help others. She is a friend, a wife, and always busy as all mommies are. She is very active on Facebook, addicted to Geocaching and very interested in organic and green living while cooking up a storm

Recent Articles on Mom Start

Freshen up Your Meals With Al Fresco Meats

Samples provided for review Confession: as a Polish woman, I love sausage in all its forms. Sausage patties, country sausage, or just plain ol’ bratwurst: my heart – and stomach – has room to accommodate them all. However, as someone trying to live gluten free, finding sausage that doesn’t have gluten fillers can be a […]

1. Stephanie Phelps says

I do not know how you get them to come out so pretty and neat. My balls are to soft and crumble when I put the chocolate and toothpick on them. I am going to try your recipe. Thank you for sharing! :)

2. emelie says

these are really popular in ohio, pretty much all the time, but really around the holidays, we call them buckeyes but only leave a small little circle of the peanut butter uncovered so it looks like a buckeye nut.

3. OhMyGod says

You should consider getting a manicure next time you post pictures holding something. Your nails look hideous in that picture. Happy New Year!

4. says

I made these for my mother years ago when she was pregnant with my youngest brother. She used to crave them so bad that I had to try to hide them in the freezer too or she would eat the whole batch at once.

5. Ashleigh says

I make these too but for the peanut butter mixture I use Rice Krispies, Powdered Sugar, and then I melt the peanut butter and add that to the rice krispies mixed with the powdered sugar. I form balls with that and stick them in the freezer and dunk those into the melted chocolate. it adds a crunchy to the smooth.

6. Jesi Allen says

Just wanted to offer an alternative.. Instead of mixing the chocolate with butter, a 1/2 of a (melted) wax bar! If you can get past the thought of the wax, it’s much healthier than the butter!

7. RegalRae says

Made these over the weekend and brought them to work – take about a winner!! Everyone loved them and asked for the recipe. Super super easy to make and oh so creamy!!
    I especially love the fact that I can store them in the freezer for that go-to treat – they melt in your mouth.

8. Amber says

If you mix it with coconut oil instead of butter, it makes more of a magic shell type sauce and hardens almost instantly after dipping frozen items into it. The ratio is about 7 oz of chocolate to 2 T of coconut oil. Can’t wait to try this!

9. Teach2 says

I don’t know why, but the peanut butter was not stiff for me. I may have done something wrong. But did turn out great,